At the beginning there were the city walls ... and a desire to move freight and people..
This was a desire for every railway, and this one was not different.
The line described in this article on the map on left is the dashed yellow line from E to west. E represents the location of the station and of the deposit of this and the other interurban line departing from there (dotted line to east).
When the line was opened in 1888 it run from Pisa to Marina di Pisa, the terminal was on the area that until 1997 was used as the bus deposit of CPT . This area is hown in the picture on right. The original area was or right outside the city walls.
The gap in the walls was opened later, when in 1932 was opened the new station.
can trace on the map on top of this page on site E.
In origin the line from Pisa, near the central station, passed over one of the city wall bastion, then over the old Navicelli canal, then in the country, toward Marina di Pisa, at the mouth of the river Arno, it was operated whith steam, coal fired, locotender
In 1932 the line was renowed: electrified and extended to and trought the city of Livorno.
At the same time (1929) a new road between Pisa and Livorno was built, along the FS line, and a new canal was dug, this one much deeper and capable to accomodate ships up to 8000 t. The line so did no longer have the necessity to pass over the old canal, and so a slighly different trackge was used, without the steep gradient that often forced the train stop well over the station, entering the line to Pontedera, but also occupying a grade crossing.
In next pages I will
give more detailed informations about these viaducts and holes ...
In the images above the station (built in 1932)
in current status, the front on left and the back (track side) on right.
The station was a terminal and had two tracks, the axis of the tracks correponded to the columns on the porch.
On right you can see a piece of the platform, now leading to toilets.
While for stations built before 1930 the style was quite uniform, around 1930 on many lines were choosen different styles, taking as example the rebuilding of the station of Caldine, on the Faentina line, or the stations on the Civitavecchia-Capranica line, so this station have been built althought with modern tecniques in a way to resemple the pisan gothic style (as did, althought in a less intense way, the central station of Pisa, just a few hundreds meter south)
particulat was adapted, such the lettering in medieval style, and the top
of the doors, to have a consistent style.
The other station of the line have them too a peculiar style, but lettering in entirely different from this one.
In the pictures below two more images from inside
the station, showing the old style windows for ticket (that are currently
sold inside, in the former waiting room) and the «Deposit for baggage
and cycles», a senvice no longer offered there (only at the central
stion, at stiff prices).
same style have been kept also for some minor particulars, such the door
to enter a closet inside the former walls of the city, or the entrance
of toilets (that show the only remains of hig platform, the other stations
having all confentional low platforms), and the enchantable acute arch
toward the [former] deposit..
A particular, on the other part, that contrast the gothic style, while reminding the epoch in which the station was built is the iron gate on the front porch, built to prevent people to access the station facilities during night..
Another out of place particular are the plastic
letters of the current operator ... Not a bad idea since it is the fifth
time, since the station was built, that it changed the name ...
This carton soldier is not original, and have nothing
to do with the station, but was put a few years ago for a rievocation,
anyway it show clearly the site where is still standing a wing signal ,
that protected the entrance of the station.
In the two pictures below the same signal, that apart for building is the only remained sign of the railway is seen from the station and as it looks today:
The first part of the line, for about 500 m is now a pedestrian path, tracks have been removed from there only in 1998.
Interestingly enought, howeverthe catenary poles have been removed only in part, so you can walk under them, see picture on right.
the station was the deposit, more or less where the former steam railway
had is terminal.
The sheds are still standing, even because until 1994 were the deposit of APT, the local bus operator, and currently are being refurbished for use as a school.
On picture on right you can see one of the poles with switches to section the electric line.
On the pictures below more images of the former
deposit area, and the cut in the city walls made to let the trains enter
the deposit [outside] from the station [inside].
Next: The former viaduct over the Navicelli canal and the city walls